“It was our father, David Shephard, who sowed the first seeds of Okeland Communities in 1971. Building homes and undertaking small development projects in Perth, he was one man pursuing his passion – a passion that would permeate across the generations and propel Okeland Communities into the company it is today.
Initially called Amex Corporation, the business evolved during the 1970’s and 1980’s and began to focus on residential estate development. In 1988, the business expanded to Queensland and then Victoria in 1993.
Sadly, our father passed away in 2012 but his legacy and passion to create extraordinary places lives on through us. We each possess more than two decades of experience across the property and finance industries and share our father’s vision to grow the business whilst always remaining loyal to our family’s strong tradition and values. Like our father, we continue to seek development solutions that create exceptional communities, so we can leave legacies we are proud of.
In 2018, we made the decision to rename Amex Corporation to Okeland in celebration of our great-grandmother, Beatrice Oke. Beatrice would treat each person in the community like family and her strong sense of family values and community spirit was passed on to all of us.
The name Okeland celebrates authentic family values as integral to the business and the residential communities we create. It may be a new name for the company but it is a name with deep roots in history that provide a solid foundation for the future.”
Adam Shephard (Managing Director) and Cameron Shephard (Executive Director).
Okeland have a passion to create something different.
We pride ourselves on being:
- A private, family business - this allows the owners of the business (who work in the business) to implement a long term strategy within a professional yet simple corporate environment.
- Strategic – we identify properties that have strategic merit, that are well located in established growth corridors and are of significant size.
- Long term thinkers – we acquire well ahead of the front, apply our skills to value add the project and then develop world class communities. We provide stakeholders with continuity and stability.
- Trustworthy – we do what we say, we deliver what we promise.
- Collaborative – the best outcomes are those that all stakeholders have a part in creating.
- Sustainable – we don’t give this word mere lip service, we strive to achieve what we can from an economic, social and environmental basis.
- Community focused – the best legacy one can leave is the one that provides generations of people with a happy, healthy and safe place to live their lives. We treat our responsibility in creating these communities very seriously.
- Respectful – everyone associated with our business or is affected by what we do has a right to be heard and their viewpoints respected.
This is what makes us different – it’s also what provides us with our competitive advantage. Moreover it is also what delivers our primary objective – leaving a legacy that we at Okeland are proud of.
Okeland currently operates across Western Australia, Queensland and Victoria and is constantly seeking development opportunities across Australia that put people first. Okeland takes a long-term view for every project and always considers the best possible outcome for the community, customers and stakeholders.
Find out more about our current projects below.
Okeland Current Projects